PLANTATION-STYLE PORK GUISANTES (Filipino Pork and Peas)
Growing up on the plantation in Papaaloa on the Big Island of Hawaii, Uncle Owen recalls his dad, my grandpa Haru making Pork Guisantes for lunches
He shared with me that grandpa would make this savory tomato pork stew dish and pack them in "Kau Kau tins" to take to school. Similar to bento boxes, "Kau Kau tins" are what the plantation workers would take to work. They usually had a wooden or metal handle and two compartments stacked upon each other; one for rice and one for the main dish.
Modern-style bento box (similar look to the Kau Kau tin)
Pork Guisantes is the perfect dish to pack for lunch or make for a family get together. Enjoy!
Equipment used to film this video: (Amazon Affiliate Links)
Iphone Mount: https://amzn.to/3pFJCGt
Short Tripod: https://amzn.to/3xaItsY
Iphone Telepod: https://amzn.to/359IilS
1. Cut pork into 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Cook onions and bell pepper until soft (separately) and remove from the pot.
3. Add in pork pieces and cook until brown.
4. Add in salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaves and fish sauce.
5. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes with the cover on.
6. Slowly add in tomato sauce, onions, pimientos, peas, and bell peppers.
7. Let the stew simmer for another 15 minutes. Taste and adjust flavors if you need to.
What is a pimiento?
A pimiento is a cherry pepper, sweet in flavor with little spice.
8. Enjoy over rice!
Pork Guisantes Recipe
2 lbs pork (according to your preference such as shoulder, butt, loin)
1 medium size onion
diced 5 cloves garlic
chopped 2 tbs fish sauce (patis) https://amzn.to/3MkIi9f
6 bay leaves https://amzn.to/3GjX0JQ
2 14.5 oz cans tomato sauce or diced tomatoes https://amzn.to/437PbAN
1 red pepper
1 lb peas
1 bottle pimentos https://amzn.to/439XJXF
***Some of the links above are affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission if anyone purchases through them. This helps support my channel so I can continue to create more blogs for Hawaii Food and Family!
For day to day updates, please follow me on instagram
Thanks for reading!